Top 5 HIPAA Compliant Video Conferencing Tools to Use in 2023
Health and wellness coaches, trainers, and consultants must respect their clients' privacy. And in-person appointments are increasingly inconvenient. With the pandemic forcing a shift toward digital health and wellness solutions, more and more businesses need secure, private video conferencing tools to replace the in-person experience.
Although video conferencing is incredibly convenient for health and wellness coaches and their clients, the wrong tool could put your client’s privacy at risk. Not all video conferencing tools are built to satisfy privacy standards - especially in the healthcare ecosystem.
This could put businesses and individuals at risk of inadvertently violating the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). And that’s a big deal. Not only do HIPPA violations damage your reputation, but they carry hefty legal penalties.
Finding a HIPAA-compliant video conferencing solution causes major friction for many coaches in the health and wellness space. Luckily, you have options.
There are a few HIPAA-compliant video conferencing tools out there that you can use as a telehealth coach or health and wellness professional - you just need to know where to look!
What is HIPAA-compliant video conferencing?
HIPAA-compliant software and tools are designed to uphold client privacy and security by safeguarding the sensitive health information they share with you. These solutions are specifically tailored to protect clients' protected health information (PHI) when transmitted through text, audio, or video.
Using HIPAA-compliant video conferencing for health and wellness coaching is essential to ensure client safety. If your video conferencing tool doesn't meet HIPAA compliance standards, it's safer to assume it's not suitable for use with clients.
What should HIPAA-compliant video conferencing tools include?
When picking a video conferencing tool to use with clients, it's important to make sure it's HIPAA-compliant. Here are a couple of features to keep in mind:
- Local storage: It's best to choose a tool that saves video recordings directly on your device. Storing client PII in the cloud or other locations might accidentally give others access to your video sessions.
- End-to-end encryption: Make sure the tool you pick supports end-to-end encryption (E2EE), which helps keep video data secure and prevents unauthorized parties from accessing it. This way, you can avoid hackers, application service providers, internet service providers, or anyone else from getting their hands on your client's sensitive PII data.
Top 5 HIPAA-compliant video conferencing tools
Now that you’ve got a better idea of what to look for in a secure, private solution, the following are some of the top HIPAA-compliant video conferencing tools to use in 2023.
Profi’s end-to-end coaching platform has built-in video conferencing, and we’re fully HIPPA compliant. As part of our goal to help you help others, we’ve ensured that our conferencing solution supports coaches, trainers, and consultants in the health and wellness space who are dealing with very private, personal client healthcare information.
We offer live video conferencing capabilities that feature HIPAA-grade security measures that protect your session data.
You can trust that your client communications are safe and secure as part of our Client Management feature set within our secure Profi portal, including:
- Secure client portal: HIPAA-compliant private messaging for easy and confidential communication with clients.
- Private client notes: Write and share notes while maintaining client privacy.
- Integrated video conferencing: In-house, HIPAA-compliant tool built into the platform.
- PII protection: Secure login to safeguard client personal information.
- E-signature capture: Streamlined signing of intake and evaluation forms before sessions.
- Customized waiting rooms: Personalized session links and waiting areas for a professional touch.
- Mobile notifications: Stay connected and informed on the go.
- Session transcription & recording: Save sessions effortlessly for future reference.
- HD video & audio: High-quality communication for an enhanced customer experience.
We secure each and every session. Plus, we give you the tools you need to streamline payments and billing with payment reminders and auto-pay capabilities. And we let you develop personalized payment plans, subscriptions, and packages for clients.
Together, these features make Profi one of the most comprehensive HIPAA-compliant video conferencing platforms for health and wellness coaches you'll find on the market.
Want to try it for yourself? Check out this interactive demo:
Of course, video conferencing is only a small feature of the Profi platform. Our all-in-one coaching management software helps you design hybrid learning courses, seamlessly schedule clients, and create powerful wellness coaching sessions with purpose.
Not-so-humble-brag: We’re industry leaders for a reason! We care about your success, and we’ll continue to build new features that help you help others to the best of our ability.
Doxy.me is a free HIPAA-compliant video conferencing solution that (like Profi) is browser-based and requires no download. It's also compliant with HIPAA, along with the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH) and other rules, ensuring compliance in any location all over the world.
Like Profi, users can access doxy.me using nearly any device, including smartphones, tablets, and computers.
Other key features of doxy.me (that are shared by Profi) include:
- Clickable links: Effortless access for clients with direct session links.
- Custom waiting rooms: Personalized spaces for clients to wait.
- Upgradable plans: Paid options to expand features, including audio sessions and HD video.
- Mobile notifications: Stay informed and connected on the go.
If you're looking for an easy-to-use video conferencing solution that's secure and highly accessible, doxy.me is a good choice.
TheraNest is another browser-based tool that provides both individual and organization-level support. It's specifically designed as a platform for mental health professionals.
This solution enables users to host sessions that include up to six participants. The fact that it's web-based means users never have to download any software.
With TheraNest, you also gain access to:
- Calendar scheduling: Efficiently manage your appointments.
- Insurance billing: Streamline your billing workflows.
- One-click session links: Personalized links for hassle-free joining of video sessions.
If you're a professional in need of a solution that's built for the mental health industry, you'll find TheraNest to be a relatively dependable product.
4. Zoom for Healthcare
Zoom remains arguably the most recognizable video conferencing solution available, but the base software isn't HIPAA-compliant. However, the platform's Zoom for Healthcare is compliant with HIPAA to make it suitable for healthcare professionals of all types.
You get a variety of features with Zoom for Healthcare that make it popular for many professionals, including:
- Virtual waiting rooms: Patients can notify doctors when ready for appointments.
- Medical equipment integration: Compatibility with digital stethoscopes and more.
- HD video & audio: Crystal-clear communication quality.
- Quick health forms: Streamlined access to essential documents for virtual appointments.
For a trusted and consistently reliable video conferencing solution, you can benefit from using Zoom for Healthcare. While it won't include many features outside of video conferencing to enhance your client sessions, Zoom is one of the more recognizable names on this list.
This tool allows users to manage various elements of telehealth communications, with the ability to conduct video calls, schedule appointments, and keep track of patient records.
The different plans offer some of the following features:
- Unified payments & forms: Streamline administrative tasks by combining credit card payments, intake forms, and bookings.
- Device compatibility: Integration with smart scales, Fitbits, blood pressure cuffs, and more.
- Rapid tech support: Efficient assistance for resolving patient tech issues.
- Virtual walk-ins: Enjoy walk-in appointments with an estimated wait time in a virtual waiting room.
There's a lot you can get with VSee, which is why it's a good solution if you're seeking an affordable and customizable tool.
HIPAA-compliant video conferencing FAQs
If you have additional questions about HIPAA-compliant video conferencing software, here are some common questions and answers to them:
Is free Zoom HIPAA-compliant in 2023?
Currently, both the free and standard paid versions of Zoom do not comply with HIPAA. To access a HIPAA-compliant version, you'll need to opt for the Zoom for Healthcare plan.
However, Zoom doesn't disclose the pricing for its healthcare-focused offering. Profi, on the other hand, already includes HIPAA-compliant conferencing as a standard feature.
Is there a HIPAA-compliant version of Zoom?
The Zoom for Healthcare plan is a paid subscription on Zoom that allows for HIPAA-compliant video conferencing. Using this solution, users benefit from secure communications that protect patients' information.
Is Zoom HIPAA-compliant for telehealth?
With the Zoom for Healthcare plan, users can conduct secure and HIPAA-compliant telehealth video conferences.
Is Skype HIPAA-compliant?
Even though Consumer Skype uses secure encryption techniques, it doesn't quite meet the required HIPAA compliance standards.
If organizations are using it for online patient interactions, they should be mindful of the associated risks and consider looking into other video conferencing platforms that offer HIPAA compliance.
Finding the best HIPAA-compliant video conferencing tool for your business
Like other types of software, every HIPAA-compliant video conferencing tool is different. Some feature a wide variety of capabilities that make the tool useful outside of video conferencing alone, while others focus more on this particular element.
Here at Profi, we help health and wellness coaches, trainers, and consultants connect to clients across industries. With the help of Profi, you can spend less time worrying about regulatory headaches and more time focusing on what really matters — the health and well-being of your clients.
Our team is always available to answer any questions or concerns you may have. You can easily book a demo or try for free by clicking on the corresponding buttons located on the top right of this page.
Find out what Profi’s built-in HIPAA-compliant video conferencing can do for your clients’ privacy and trust in your business.
Generate more profit for your service practice
Without investing any more time. You've been helping others — it's time to help yourselfTry for free