Top 5 HIPAA Compliant Video Conferencing Tools to Use in 2022
Health and wellness coaches, trainers, and consultants must respect their clients' privacy. And in-person appointments are increasingly inconvenient. With the pandemic forcing a shift toward digital health and wellness solutions, more and more businesses need secure, private video conferencing tools to replace the in-person experience.
Although video conferencing is incredibly convenient health and wellness coaches and their clients, the wrong tool could put your client’s privacy at risk. Not all video conferencing tools are built to satisfy privacy standards — especially in the healthcare ecosystem.
This could put businesses and individuals at risk of inadvertently violating the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). And that’s a big deal. Not only do HIPPA violations damage your reputation, but they carry hefty legal penalties.
Finding a HIPAA-compliant video conferencing solution causes major friction for many coaches in the health and wellness space. Luckily, you have options. There are a few HIPAA compliant video conferencing tools out there that you can use as a telehealth coach or health and wellness professional. You just need to know where to look.
What Is HIPAA Compliant Video Conferencing?
Any HIPAA compliant software or tool is designed to maintain your clients’ privacy and security by protecting sensitive information they share with you about their health.
Specifically, HIPAA compliant solutions must secure any of your clients’ protected health information (PHI) when it’s shared via text, audio, and video.
That’s why it's crucial to have HIPAA compliant video conferencing for health and wellness coaching. If your video conferencing tool isn’t HIPAA compliant, it’s best to assume it’s not safe to use for your clients.
What Should HIPAA Compliant Video Conferencing Tools Include?
If you want to ensure the video conferencing tool you’re using with clients is HIPAA compliant, there are a couple of key features to look for, including:
- Local Storage — When conducting virtual sessions with clients, look for a tool that stores video recordings locally on the your hardware. Storing client PII in the cloud, or in other locations, could give others access to the video conferencing session.
- End-to-End Encryption — You should also look for a tool that allows for end-to-end encryption (E2EE), which encrypts the video data to prevent unauthorized third parties from accessing it. Otherwise, hackers, application service providers, internet service providers, or others could access your client’s PII data.
Top 5 HIPAA Compliant Video Conferencing Tools
Now that you’ve got a better idea of what to look for in a secure, private solution, the following are some of the top HIPAA compliant video conferencing tools to use in 2022.
Profi’s end-to-end health coaching software has built-in video conferencing, and we’re fully HIPPA compliant. As part of our goal to help you help others, we’ve ensured that our conferencing solution supports coaches, trainers, and consultants in the health and wellness space who are dealing with very private, personal client healthcare information.
We offer live video conferencing capabilities that feature HIPAA-grade security measures that protect your session data.
You can trust that your client communications are safe and secure as part of our Client Management feature set within our secure Profi portal, including:
- Profi users have access to a secure client portal with HIPAA-compliant private messaging between you and your clients
- Write and share private client notes
- We’ve built our own HIPAA-compliant video conferencing tool into the platform
- Client personal information, or PII, is protected by secure login to the Profi platform
- Capture and automate client esignatures before your session on intake and evaluation forms with our esignature capture feature
- Personalized waiting rooms and session links
- Mobile notifications
- Transcription and recording options that enable professionals to save sessions
- High-definition video and audio
We secure each and every session. Plus, we give you the tools you need to streamline payments and billing with payment reminders and auto-pay capabilities. And we let you develop personalized payment plans, subscriptions, and packages for clients.
Together, these features make Profi one of the most comprehensive HIPAA compliant video conferencing platforms for health and wellness coaches you'll find on the market.
Of course, video conferencing is only a small feature of the Profi platform. Our all-in-one coaching platform helps you design hybrid learning courses, seamlessly schedule clients, and create powerful wellness coaching sessions with purpose.
Not-so-humble-brag: We’re industry leaders or a reason; we care about your success. And we’ll continue to build new features that help you help others to the best of our ability.
Doxy.me is a free HIPAA compliant video conferencing solution that (like Profi) is browser-based and requires no download. It's also compliant with HIPAA, along with the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH) and other rules, ensuring compliance in any location all over the world.
Like Profi, users can access doxy.me using nearly any device, including smartphones, tablets, and computers.
Other key features of doxy.me (that are shared by Profi) include:
- Ease of access through clickable links that direct clients to a session
- Personalized waiting rooms
- Paid plans to upgrade the service, which adds functionalities such as audio sessions and high-definition video
- Mobile notifications
If you're looking for an easy-to-use video conferencing solution that's secure and highly accessible, doxy.me is a good choice.
TheraNest is another browser-based tool that provides both individual and organization-level support. It's specifically designed as a platform for mental health professionals.
This solution enables users to host sessions that include up to six participants. The fact that it's web-based means users never have to download any software.
With TheraNest, you also gain access to:
- Calendar scheduling
- Insurance billing workflows
- Personalized session links that eliminate the need to do anything more than click to join the video session
If you're a professional in need of a solution that's built for the mental health industry, you'll find TheraNest to be a relatively dependable product.
Zoom remains arguably the most recognizable video conferencing solution available, but the base software isn't HIPAA compliant. However, the platform's Zoom for Healthcare is compliant with HIPAA to make it suitable for healthcare professionals of all types.
You get a variety of features with Zoom for Healthcare that make it popular for many professionals, including:
- Virtual waiting rooms in which patients can let doctors know when they're ready for their appointment
- Medical equipment integrations that can connect with digital stethoscopes and other tools
- High-definition video and audio
- Easy access to health forms to supplement virtual appointments
For a trusted and consistently reliable video conferencing solution, you can benefit from using Zoom for Healthcare. While it won't include many features outside of video conferencing to enhance your client sessions, Zoom is one of the more recognizable names on this list.
This tool allows users to manage various elements of telehealth communications, with the ability to conduct video calls, schedule appointments, and keep track of patient records.
The different plans offer some of the following features:
- Combine credit card payments, intake forms, and bookings to help streamline administrative tasks
- Integration with a range of devices, such as smart scales, Fitbits, and blood pressure cuffs
- Tech support that can quickly resolve tech issues for patients
- Virtual walk-in appointments with a virtual waiting room that gives an estimated wait time
There's a lot you can get with VSee, which is why it's a good solution if you're seeking an affordable and customizable tool.
HIPAA Compliant Video Conferencing FAQs
If you have additional questions about HIPAA compliant video conferencing software, the following are some common questions and answers to them.
Is free Zoom HIPAA compliant in 2022?
At this time, the free version of Zoom is not HIPAA compliant. Instead, you will need to pay for the Zoom for Healthcare plan if you want a HIPAA compliant version. Profi automatically includes HIPPA compliant conferencing.
Is there a HIPAA compliant version of Zoom?
The Zoom for Healthcare plan is a paid subscription on Zoom that allows for HIPAA compliant video conferencing. Using this solution, users benefit from secure communications that protect patients' information.
Is Zoom HIPAA compliant for telehealth?
Using the Zoom for Healthcare plan, users can securely facilitate telehealth communications through video conferencing.
Is Skype HIPAA compliant?
Skype is not currently HIPAA compliant. Although it's generally secure and uses encryption to protect communications, it doesn't meet the standards in place to guarantee HIPAA compliance.
Finding the Best HIPAA Compliant Video Conferencing Tool for Your Business
Like other types of software, every HIPAA compliant video conferencing tool is different. Some feature a wide variety of capabilities that make the tool useful outside of video conferencing alone, while others focus more on this particular element.
Here at Profi, we help health and wellness coaches, trainers, and consultants connect to clients across industries. With the help of Profi, you can spend less time worrying about regulatory headaches and more time focusing on what really matters — the health and well-being of your clients.
Book a Demo with one of our Product Coaches today to find out what Profi’s HIPAA-compliant video conferencing integrated into our platform can do for your clients’ privacy and their trust in your business.
Generate more profit for your service practice
Without investing any more time. You've been helping others — it's time to help yourselfTry for free